Open Position: Head of Operations
swissnex San Francisco connects the dots between Switzerland and North America in science, education, art, and innovation. Applying open innovation firsthand, swissnex is creating a community of university, startup, creative, and corporate “residents” including: Ecole Cantonale d’arts de Lausanne, Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne, Logitech, Nestlé, Pro Helvetia, Swisscom, Swiss Re, University of Geneva, View, and Vitra. In addition to a large co-working space with stunning Bay views, our location also includes exhibition and events spaces. We have the capacity to hold up to three events simultaneously, and we offer several hundred events per year.
Projected start date: July, 2017
The Head of Operations is ultimately responsible for the success of all operations at swissnex San Francisco and has a key role in improving the IT infrastructure to support all daily activities. In addition, the Head of Ops provides strategic direction and lots of hands-on support for our growing operations team, which is integral to our organization’s success.
The Ops Team is responsible for 1) facilities management, 2) community management, 3) event logistics and production, and 4) technology.
Reporting to the Head of Ops are an Event Production Coordinator, a Facilities & Operations Manager, and an outsourced IT consulting firm. A Receptionist and a half-time intern who help with events and community management report to the Facilities and Operations Manager and complete the Ops team. The successful candidate will shape this newly created position, the Ops team, and the core operations affecting all our staff, co-working community, and guests.
The Head of Ops reports to the CEO, and has the following primary responsibilities:
- Responsible for the success of all operations at swissnex
- Provide leadership and strategic oversight for all operational activities, including collaboratively developing the vision for the Ops Team and its functions
- Assess and optimize organizational capacity for all types of activities and events, including developing and implementing a strategy to increase the number of “hosted events” with partners
- Constantly review and assess current operational functions and IT and develop and implement plans and projects for improvement and greater efficiency
- Develop and support the Ops Team by working with Ops Team members to set and achieve realistic goals and supporting individual Ops Team members’ professional and career growth plans
- Create and manage departmental and project budgets, in collaboration with Finance
Event and Facilities Support (40%)
- Oversee event production and ensure smooth operations and flawless technology for hundreds of events per year – onsite and offsite activities, exhibitions, “learning tours,” and official and unofficial delegations from Switzerland
- With the Event Production Coordinator, manage the organizational calendar, as well as events management and setup, and hire additional event staffing, as needed
- Perform and support all operations team member functions during absences and periods of high activity, including serving as the 24/7 alarm monitoring contact
IT Project Management (20%)
- Serve as lead project manager for all information technology projects with outside vendors
- Perform hands-on, first-level IT and AV troubleshooting and support, in the absence of the IT consultant
- Maximize efficiency of existing technologies and reduce redundancies (including project management of Phase Two of Salesforce development)
- Research, identify, and implement new technologies, as needed, to improve core functions
- Develop and communicate IT policies and procedures, including leading staff trainings
- 5+ years related experience in operations including responsibility for IT, events and/or events production, project management, and similar
- Collaborative leadership style; experience leading a team to excellent results
- Self-starter with proven experience taking initiative and solving challenges across a wide range of responsibility areas in a fast-paced environment
- Experience managing projects with diverse stakeholders and limited budgets
- Experience developing new systems and cultivating a team during organizational expansion
- Hands-on experience with IT and AV equipment and managing IT projects
- Command of key business software (Salesforce, MS Office, Google apps, etc.) and knowledge of creative online and offline tools for innovative high-impact organizations
- English proficiency required; bonus if you also speak some French and/or German
- Note: due to our legal status as an annex of the Swiss Consulate, applicants must either be Swiss residents, U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents. No exceptions.
- A full-time position; start date ideally mid-June to July 1
- Compensation commensurate with experience and responsibilities in a non-profit setting ($85K-90K), 4 weeks’ vacation, generous holidays and sick leave, employer-matched 401(K) for those with a US tax obligation, and 80% employer-paid medical and dental plans
- A multi-cultural, creative, fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and team-oriented work environment
- A platform to grow your leadership skills, professional experience, and network
- Beautiful location at the end of Pier 17, next to the Exploratorium
- A creative, international, and inspiring work environment.
All applications must be submitted via this web interface and include a cover letter and resume to be considered.
Interested candidates please apply by end of day May 7, 2017