Open Position: Head of Operations
The Head of Operations (HOO) is all new: a newly created position to lead a newly expanded team at swissnex San Francisco’s new location at Pier 17.
When swissnex moved to Pier 17 in Summer 2016, we tripled the overall size of our space, expanded the size of our team to 22, grew our co-working capacity from 5 to 50, added two additional event venues, opened a new exhibition space with 4-6 annual exhibits, and greatly increased the number of public and private events we can hold. The move to this unique innovation ecosystem is a huge transition for us as an organization, and now we need a leader to help direct the operations for these activities and to lead the newly formed Operations Team.
Projected start date: August, 2017
Operations Team key responsibility areas (HOO is ultimately responsible for all):
- The building (including furniture, equipment, storage, supplies, inventory, etc.) and all its high-tech systems (including audio-visual, HVAC, security, phones, lighting, etc.)
- The IT infrastructure: hardware (computers, wifi, servers, peripherals, room reservation & visitor check-in systems, etc.) and software (CRM, applications, productivity tools, etc.)
- Logistics and production for all the events taking place in the building
- The community of currently 22 coworking organizations and their people sharing the building
The Operations Team consists of:
- Head of Operations (NEW)
- Facilities and Operations Manager (focus: office building and community)
- Event Production Coordinator (NEW – starts July 1; focus: events, including study tours)
- Receptionist (incumbent leaves June 30, currently recruiting)
- Part-time hospitality intern on six-month rotation (next one starts August 1; focus: community and events)
- Outsourced IT support
Initial priorities for the Head of Operations, in addition to learning how everything works in the key responsibility areas listed above:
- Build and develop a cohesive, productive, happy, and successful operations team
- Assess, design workflows, recommend solutions, and lead Phase Two of CRM project (currently Salesforce) with mandate to improve adoption, include all Activity Output Indicators required by headquarters, and develop internal activity management metrics (working with outsourced IT provider)
- Assess, design workflows, recommend solutions, and implement process improvements for all swissnex events (including study tours, public programs, and others) as well “hosted events” (similar to an event rental with an external partner)
- Manage existing Operations budget and develop goals and budget for 2018
- Support efforts to develop and manage the coworking community
To be successful, you must:
- Have 5+ years record of successfully developing and implementing new processes and business systems for teams
- Have a collaborative leadership style, and extensive experience mentoring and leading a team to excellent results, along with phenomenal customer service skills (we are all your customers)
- View operations holistically – maintain a vision of the big picture while also sweating all the small details that lead to an excellent experience for users and guests
- Be an analytical systems thinker, with a deep understanding of and experience with current productivity tools and technologies (we currently use Salesforce, Podio, Envoy, Teem, Zapier, Nexudus, etc. in an AppleOS environment – familiarity with some/all would be great)
- Be flexible. Change is the only constant here at swissnex.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of change management and behavior management, in relation to project management and systems/process evolution
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty to ensure successful operations and to cover for your team, as needed
- Be on call 24/7 for alarm monitoring
- Be available to work some evenings and weekends, as needed, to support operations, and then offset this time to maintain work-life balance
- Be fluent in English (written and spoken); proficiency in German and/or French is a plus
Note: due to our legal status as an annex of the Swiss Consulate, applicants must either be Swiss citizens or residents, or US citizens or residents. No exceptions.
- A full-time position; start date ideally August 2017
- Compensation commensurate with experience and responsibilities in a non-profit setting ($85K-90K), plus 4 weeks of vacation, 12+ annual holidays, sick leave, employer-matched 401(K) for those with a US tax obligation, medical and dental insurance
- A creative, inspiring, multi-cultural, fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and team-oriented work environment
- Beautiful location at the end of Pier 17, next to the Exploratorium
Interested candidates please apply as soon as possible. This position was posted on June 12, 2017. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled. Apply Here
swissnex San Francisco connects the dots between Switzerland and North America in science, education, art, and innovation. Located at Pier 17, swissnex San Francisco is an initiative of Switzerland’s State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation and is managed in cooperation with the Swiss Department of Foreign Affairs. swissnex San Francisco is a platform for innovation that brings together a broad range of partners related to international research and innovation such as universities, startups, creatives, and entrepreneurs in an interdisciplinary coworking community. At swissnex San Francisco, we seek out what is new and discuss the possibilities of the future through a diverse program of events, exhibitions, study tours, trend scouting and startup acceleration. At our new location at Pier 17, we invite audiences and partners to actively engage in the global exchange of knowledge, ideas and talent amongst our growing community of partners.