Connect people and ideas from Switzerland and the San Francisco Bay Area to foster exchange in research, education, ...
Public Programs Internship at swissnex San Francisco
swissnex San Francisco offers a 7-month Public Programs Internship to support our public programs and exhibitions teams.
Title: Junior Project Manager, Public Programs
Status: Full-time, 40 hours/week
Duration: January through July 2019 (7 months)
Who are we?
swissnex San Francisco is located at Pier 17 and is part of the global swissnex Network for international collaboration. Our mission is to connect people and ideas from Switzerland and the San Francisco Bay Area to foster exchange in research, education, innovation, and the arts. Inspiring collaboration across disciplines, industries, and borders, we host universities, startups, corporates, artists, and designers. As convener, facilitator, and curator, we program a range of events, workshops, conferences, exhibitions, and innovation exchanges that explore the ideas and issues that shape our society.
swissnex is an initiative of Switzerland’s State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI), managed in cooperation with the Department of Foreign Affairs. In San Francisco, swissnex is an annex of the Consulate General of Switzerland. A public-private venture, vital financial support is provided by partners, sponsors, and donors sharing swissnex San Francisco’s vision to advance new ideas and international collaboration for the benefit of societies.
What are we expecting from you?
The Junior Project Manager will support the public programs team by coordinating all aspects of event production from conception to post-event assessment, including managing vendors and suppliers, setting up and dismantling event spaces, and all aspects of event logistics. One of your first big projects will be helping with the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in March where you will support a Swiss gaming delegation to showcase their skills and products.
Later in the internship, you may “own” your own event(s), leading your own project(s). You will also support the swissnex team with general operational duties and should be willing to roll up your sleeves to do whatever needs to be done.
To succeed in this role, you should:
- Have some experience producing events and a demonstrated passion for science, art, innovation and the digital world
- Be an organizational wizard and a do-er. This role is primarily about organizing, executing and getting things done
- Have excellent command of written and spoken English, and be fluent in at least one Swiss language
- Be an excellent problem-solver, as well as proactive, independent, flexible, self-motivated, and energetic
- Have excellent communication skills and be comfortable and able to perform in a fast-paced environment
- Pay strong attention to details
- Have a “can-do” attitude
- Be willing to work evening hours, as needed for events, and be comfortable with the physical work required for event production (standing for extended periods, lifting, and moving tables and chairs, etc.)
What can you expect from us?
- Be part of a creative, fun team curating and producing events and exhibitions
- Create within a team environment interdisciplinary events and exhibitions to inspire and excite a variety of audiences
- Gain work experience in a creative and fast-paced environment, in one of the most dynamic regions of the world
- Collaborate with interesting partners in the fields of science, education, art and innovation in Silicon Valley and Switzerland
- Develop networking and project management skills and extend your personal network
- Work with different stakeholders at swissnex SF for organizational and operational tasks
- Salary of USD 2,200 per month
REQUIREMENTS: Due to our legal status as an annex of the Swiss Consulate, interns must be either Swiss citizens or Swiss residents. In addition, you must have completed your university studies no more than 12 months prior to the start date of January 1, 2019. No exceptions are possible. To be considered, you must apply through the link below and include in your application both your resume (CV) and a cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest in the position.