A fellowship to support emerging talents in science communication and public engagement.
Limited podcast series: Science with a #SwissTouch
This month, swissnex San Francisco shares a limited-release podcast series, Science with a #SwissTouch. The series pairs Swiss and US-based science storytellers, journalists, and others to explore current topics in science communication. The series was recorded at the Swiss Touch table during the World Conference of Science Journalists (WCSJ) in San Francisco, part of the successful international Alpine Bid to bring WCSJ 2019 to Lausanne, Switzerland. The recordings served as our on-site SciComm Studio event for October 2017.
Special thanks to This Wachter, who produced the introductions and assisted the recording setup at WCSJ.
Listen to the complete series on Soundcloud.
- Swiss radio journalist and independent podcaster This Wachter talks to Wendy Zukerman from Gimlet Media’s “Science Vs.,” on the importance of fun in putting together a science podcast. (Listen)
- Science journalist Jacopo Pasotti talks to New York Times science writer and Yale University instructor Carl Zimmer on his advice for successful science writing. (Listen)
- Science Freelancers Ashley Yeager and Kristin E.D. Coan talk about the intricacies behind writing thoughtful profiles of women in science. (Listen)
- Daniel Saraga, Head of Science Communication at the Swiss National Science Foundation, talks to Martin Rock of San Francisco’s Exploratorium on engaging the public in science. (Listen)
- Aurélie Coulon of Radio TeleSuisse interviews former president of the World Federation of Science Journalists, Curtis Brainard of Scientific American, on emergent trends in SciComm. (Listen)
- Le Temps science writer Pascaline Minet talks to “Sapiens” managing editor Amanda Mascarelli on crafting stories that connect with the general public. (Listen)
- Olivier Dessibourg, president of the Swiss Association for Science Journalism, interviews Ivan Oransky of Retraction Watch on finding stories in the scientific process. (Listen)
Science with a SwissTouch is part of swissnex San Francisco’s mission to promote science communication and storytelling in the USA and Switzerland.
The SciComm Studio is swissnex San Francisco’s monthly meetup for lovers of science seeking a community to experiment, explore, and connect around science communication and public engagement. Hosted by swissnex San Francisco at Pier 17, these meetups create a space for our community to cultivate science communication skills. We inspire and challenge participants excited by science to share their knowledge through storytelling and interactivity. It’s a win-win: exchange knowledge while developing a toolkit for scientific outreach.
The Pier 17 Science Studio has support from the Exploratorium, Bay Area Science Festival, TED speakers, museum professionals and art-technology curators. The Science Studio “SciComm Studio” events take science communication out of the box and into the streets. If you find yourself involved in any area of scicomm, or if you are interested in being a part of the movement, look for more events in 2018.
Science with a SwissTouch is part of the #SwissTouch Campaign, a series of events highlighting Switzerland’s innovative and forward-looking edge. Learn more at swisstouchusa.org.
Photomontage: Jamani Caillet / © EPFL