The most promising gaming startups from each represented country showcase breakthrough technologies, game concepts, ...
Swiss Games Sweep GDC
At the March 2015 Game Developers Conference (GDC), the Swiss contingent boasts outstanding results—even before the festivities kick off.
Going into the conference, Swiss games carry six nominations for Development Awards at Game Connection, one for the Independent Game Festival, two for the International Mobile Game Awards, and two for GDC’s Best In Play. That’s a lot of recognition for a relatively little country, and it surely helps solidify Switzerland as a center of innovation in the videogame industry.
GDC advisory board member Ru Weerasuiya, CEO of Ready at Dawn and Creative Director of the gaming blockbuster The Order 1886, points out that Switzerland is the number one country at GDC in terms of nominations per capita.
Swiss born Ru sees his home country’s excellent education system as one of the main reasons, noting that higher education in Switzerland selects for “people with enthusiasm and passion.”
To find out who wins and wows at the 2015 GDC, and to follow the ongoing success stories of Swiss game designers in San Francisco, follow @swissnexSF, @GameCultureCH, @mobile1315, and #SwissGames.
Related Events and Swiss Games at GDC
- March 2-5, 2015, Game Connection, City View at Metreon: Blindflug Studios*, Feist*, Apelab*, Etter Studio*, IFGames*, Witchlake Studio*, Zurich University of the Arts*
- March 3, 2015, International Mobile Gaming Awards, 111 Minna Gallery, San Francisco: First Strike by BlindFlug Studios*, MIKMA by Nadezda Suvorova
- March 4-6, 2015, at GDC Play, Moscone Convention Center, San Francisco: Blindflug Studios*, Feist*, Apelab, Witchlake Studio
- March 4-6, 2015, GDC Expo, Moscone Convention Center, San Francisco: Faceshift (Booth #107) MindMaze
- March 4-6, 2015, Independent Games Festival, Moscone Convention Center, San Francisco: Plug & Play* by Mario von Rickenbach, Michael Frei / Etter Studio
- March 5, 2015, GDC Conference (Sessions and Speakers), Moscone Convention Center, San Francisco: Hacking Cities: Procedural Modeling by ESRI Zurich
(*nominated games and studios)
Photo credit for featured image: Raphaëlle Mueller